Saturday 16th October 2021. Tarr Steps to Lynton, Somerset and Devon
Course location: Exmoor in autumn photography, in the hills, valleys, woodlands, moors and coast of Exmoor, around Tarr Steps and Lynton, Somerset and north Devon
Times: 11am to sunset, approx 6.15pm
Price: £95 per person
This Exmoor in Autumn photography course will consist of coastal, moorland and woodland landscape photography in some of Exmoor’s most beautiful areas. We’ll start the day at the ancient Tarr Steps, a prehistoric bridge across the Barle River, where we’ll photograph not only the bridge, but also the river and its surrounding woodland. From here, we’ll travel to nearby Winsford Hill to photograph open moorland and the steep, wooded valley known as The Punchbowl. In the afternoon we’ll move to the Valley of Rocks, near the town of Lynton, where we’ll photograph the rugged valley, the coastal views, and finally sunset over the Bristol Channel.
What I’ll be teaching
This Exmoor in Autumn photography course will aim to teach the following skills:
● The ability to spot potential image compositions among the complexity of the landscape, composing and shooting both wider views and details;
● Control and use of the balance between shutter speed and lens aperture to gain the best exposure, and to control depth of field (ie the amount of the image that is sharply in focus);
● How to use some of the camera’s most important features, such as semi-manual modes, in particular shutter-priority and aperture-priority, in order to help you to get away from ‘auto-everything’. I’ll also teach use of the ISO settings, image histogram and exposure compensation;
● Such techniques as the use of slow shutter speeds to blur moving water, and of filters will be covered;
● Executing the image, using positioning, perspective, focus control, use of light, and lens focal length to create simple, strong compositions.
Participants should have at least an understanding of what shutter speed and lens aperture mean, plus a knowledge of how to operate their own camera in order to get at least basic images. Beyond this, the main requirements are enthusiasm, an open mind and a readiness to learn!
Note: Since we’ll be working outdoors, what we are able to do during the day is very weather-dependent. Weather conditions may make it necessary to vary the itinerary.